Sunday, July 15, 2012

Simple Homemade Body Scrub

Chili knows body scrub smells delicious!
I posted a long time ago about wanting to make more of my own body care products, but never really evolved past making my own deodorant, and bath salts. I was reminded of my intention to keep it fresh, homemade and natural a month or two ago when one of my friends brought me a little jar of homemade body scrub. It smelled delicious, and made my skin feel amazing, which was sufficient to kick my butt into action and start taking matters back into my own hands. When I was living in Vancouver I had a whole lot of choices if I wanted to buy all-natural body care (although the price tag was generally pretty hefty), but here in Thailand my options are much more limited and I was often stuck using chemical laden, skin drying soap. No more, however! I've been playing around with a few different varieties of body scrub, and the results have been fantastic. Plus, it's super easy and inexpensive, and the recipes are so versatile you can mix up whatever your little heart desires.

The basic formula I've been using is:
2 parts something scrubby + 1 part something slippery + little bit of something that smells nice = Divine love for my skin

Beyond that, what goes in is really up to you. Here are some suggestions: 

Something Scrubby: This is what will exfoliate your skin, scrub up the dirt, and get rid of dry skin. 
- Sugar (any kind will do, from plain refined sugar to turbinado to brown sugar)
- Salt (epsom, sea salt, coarse salt, whatever)
- Baking soda
- Coffee grinds
- Ground up oats or nuts

*** I like to use one part of baking soda, and one part of any other scrubby ingredient - the baking soda is of course very deodorizing and also doesn't change consistency much when wet, unlike sugar which dissolves somewhat in our hot hot tropical climate. If you're using nuts or oats chuck them in a food processor and give them a bit of a whir to cut them up before putting them in the recipe. If you thought I was nuts when you read the bit about coffee grinds, just trust me. It works great, smells nice, and is a great way to recycle coffee grinds instead of tossing them. You can use undissolved instant coffee, or the grinds leftover from fresh coffee. Plus, coffee grinds apparently help reduce cellulite and maintain suntans. I'm down. 

Something Slippery: Helps everything stick together, and moisturizes skin like crazy.
- Oil (any kind, such as coconut oil, grapeseed, jojoba, sesame, almond, olive, what have you). 
- Honey (not exactly slippery, but feels nice and helps stick chunkier mixes together if they've got oats or coffee in them)

***I always use coconut oil, since it is locally made here on the island, and I'm a bit of a coconut fiend. Coconut also has antiseptic and deodorizing properties, and is amazingly moisturizing. Use what works for you, though. You can combine different oils if you want, too. 

Other Additions: 
- Essential oils- use whatever floats your boat and smells good! 
- Cocoa powder- for chocolate body scrub. Yum! 
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, or any other spices you like
- Anything else you can think of that seems like a good idea. 


To make the body scrub, just combine the dry ingredients in a little bowl, then add just enough oil to mix everything together into a moist combo. You don't want to add so much oil that the scrub separates and the oil floats on top. If that happens, just add a little more of the scrubby ingredients. Then add a few drops of essential oil or another addition, and place the mixture in a little jar you can keep right in the shower. Apply it with your fingers to give yourself a good scrub, and show a little extra love to dry elbows, feet, knees, and stinky armpits. Rinse and you're good to go. 

The scrub only takes a few minutes to make, so I just make up small quantities to last me a week or so. If you want to make a larger quantity it's not a bad idea to store the extras in the fridge, since there are no preservatives.

My skin has felt so great since I started using this scrub. As an added bonus, the coconut oil is so moisturizing that I don't need to apply any moisturizer after my shower (I use plain coconut oil as a body moisturizer anyway). The scrub also works perfectly as a shave gel, so that's another body product I no longer need to worry about buying. Amazing, no?! 

Here are a few of my favourite recipes so far:

Coco Chai Sugar Scrub
Coco Chai Sugar Scrub
1 part coconut oil
1 part plain white sugar
1 part baking soda
Few drops of Cinnamon Chai essential oil blend (from Voyageur Soap and Candle)

Mocha Sugar Scrub
1 part coconut oil
1 part sugar
1 part coffee grinds
Little bit of cocoa powder

Honey Oatmeal Scrub
1 part oil
1 part honey
2 parts sea salt
2 parts ground oatmeal
Little bit of cinnamon powder, to scent

Invigorating Morning Scrub
1 part oil
1 part salt (or sugar)
1 part baking soda
Few drops of peppermint essential oil


Well, that's that. Give it a go for yourself and let me know what amazing combos you come up with!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a loyal customer of your yogi deodorant, are you still making them because I'm looking to replenish my stock?? You can contact me at Janice_0073@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete